WICHITA STATE (8-8, 0-3) at #23/RV FLORIDA ATLANTIC (13-4, 3-1) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
    Checked the box score throughout. Looks like more piss poor defense led to our demise.
    We have given up 63 and 55 in back to back 2nd halves.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
      I’ve been super critical of Bijan, and honestly, last night I was impressed. Couldn’t believe I was saying bring him back out. Suppose that’s the difference between having a real PG and not having one. Made everything click.

If I’m picking who gets to stay next year (hoping we shave big time), Ballard is my first pick to stay, followed by Rogers (if he works on defense in off season) and Cortes. Everyone else… they’re expendable imo.

Bell has improved, but lots of deficiencies and appears to be a one trick poney. DeGray just kind of seems.. there. I’d be open to keeping Abidde, lots of upside and flashes of potential. I’m really disappointed in Pohto (WHY is he shooting 3s?), but if he fixes his game he’s a decent alternative to Ballard, if Ballard gets the most minutes. Beverly gets smoked on defense and is a walking turnover (though I love his slashing), Germany is just not even a player for us right now lol.

It’s tough because there are aspects I like about each individual player but honestly, we’re nowhere near the talent level we need to be and players gotta go.
      Cortes would be a great backup PG IMO. Hes much better than Bell at the true PG duties. That said, still not seeing him as PG1. We need to land an experienced quality PG in the portal.

Comment

• 1. Cortes is fun. Not a great PG, but an actual PG.
        2. Ballard cannot play 32 minutes.
        3. Rogers can shoot it, when he takes good shots.
        4. I hate analytics.
        5. "We allowed them to get 40% of their offensive rebounds, we need to keep that at 33%."
        6. Every player we have is flawed, obviously.
        7. These are men, not 7th graders. Asking them to work on a part of their game is probably not gonna work.
        8. We cannot defend the 3. It helps if they miss, tho.
        9. Needed more DR in the second half,
        10. Fun game to watch, tho, finally.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Maybe one of the things that confuses the Ballard vs Pohto debate is that it has always felt like Pohto had a higher ceiling, but also seems to have a lower floor? So his variance just causes us fits. Ballard is coming on stronger and stronger and staying consistent. Pohto played well last night. Ballard a lot better.

Ballard's BPM last night was 10.2 (excellent).
          Pohto's BPM was -1.0 (bad).

Ballard's Ortg: 147 (great)
          Pohto's Ortg: 118 (good)

Saying that Ballard is gassed doesn't appear correct. The first sign that a big is truly gassed is that they start FOULING (when the legs go, you start using physicality instead of good defensive posture and positioning). Ballard has not been in foul trouble at all this season. His highest number of PF's in a single game is only 3! He has more gas in the tank at the end of every match, for sure.

Pohto is just consuming too many of Ballard's minutes at this point.
          On top of this Ballard makes our defense much better. He changes shots and for the most part shuts off the lane, which makes the perimeter defense better.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
            I would love to see an actual out of bounds play this year. Just once.
            I don't get this. We have run some excellent out of bounds plays that have worked to perfection.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
              I can honestly say.. I think they are getting better.. there was a good chance we could have won the last 2 games against ranked teams...time will tell though.
              Me too. Taylor mentioned that we were ahead 29 of the 40 minutes in another 40 minute game. They had a player that was able to take over and lead them the last part of the game.

Signing Abmas or a really good established point veteran guard was what SN was concerned about not having all along. Cortes would of been fine as a back up all Season, not just half of it. Ballard has improved alot this Season. Since several rebounds hit the floor, we haven't shown enough quickness to go get them and got outrebonded by 4 last night. We also don't box out very good and that too must improve.

If we are going to get at least 8th, out of 14, these areas still need to be shored up. We still let our foes get easy full and half court uncontested layups. Will we ever mix in a little bit of zone D. ? Stay tuned.
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Bijan and Quincy each showed us why they can be a valuable piece next year. Obviously this team needs Colby's shooting, but more and more I'm seeing that he doesn't excel in areas outside of the box score.

I'm still on the fence with Abidde. You can see the potential, but he needs to clean up the mental mistakes. Really hoping he turns the corner this second half of the season because I think he could fit in Mills' system.

Pohto could be valuable with the right pieces and system around him. Don't think that will change enough next year.

Beverly and Bell are never going to produce at this level. DeGray seems a step slow.

That's where I'm at. I think we can return 3 or 4 to the rotation next year. Need to grab another AAC ready point guard, two best shooters you can find, and another center. Oh and a few of those guys need to be plus defenders, because I don't think we have one on the team (outside of maybe Quincy).

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  1. Cortes is fun. Not a great PG, but an actual PG.
                  2. Ballard cannot play 32 minutes.
                  3. Rogers can shoot it, when he takes good shots.
                  4. I hate analytics.
                  5. "We allowed them to get 40% of their offensive rebounds, we need to keep that at 33%."
                  6. Every player we have is flawed, obviously.
                  7. These are men, not 7th graders. Asking them to work on a part of their game is probably not gonna work.
                  8. We cannot defend the 3. It helps if they miss, tho.
                  9. Needed more DR in the second half,
                  10. Fun game to watch, tho, finally.
                  Number 9 is my favorite on this list. DR gives us energy and hustle on the floor and What a Rebounder he has been.
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• As for recruiting, we need to try to recruit over EVERYBODY. Ballard coming back makes the most sense and could be a real force next year. As was said, Cortes should be PG2 and compete for PG1. Rogers is a spot up shooter. He has no business handling the ball, but we could use him planted on the 3 point line. Several of the guys I would just cut loose and some of the others I would bring back as minor role players if we can't find something better.

Comment

• one more thing about Coach Mills. I keep thinking back before the season and him saying we don't need a PG. Maybe it was just lip service since he knew we didn't have one and he was hoping it would work out, but it's statements like this that really make me question his knowledge. A real PG is probably the most important thing a college team needs. I hope he's changed his mind on this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        one more thing about Coach Mills. I keep thinking back before the season and him saying we don't need a PG. Maybe it was just lip service since he knew we didn't have one and he was hoping it would work out, but it's statements like this that really make me question his knowledge. A real PG is probably the most important thing a college team needs. I hope he's changed his mind on this.
                        what was he supposed to say? At that point, we basically had the players we had. Also, there have been times combo guards made just fine PGs. But there was no way he could’ve known just how bad our guards are at distributing and dribbling and all of the above. There was also no way he can come out and just say - yeah we’re screwed we don’t have a PG. He could also have been expecting Bijan to get made available a whole lot sooner.

There’s a lot there that makes it fine what he said. He hasn’t said it in a while though, so that’s what matters I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                          Bijan and Quincy each showed us why they can be a valuable piece next year. Obviously this team needs Colby's shooting, but more and more I'm seeing that he doesn't excel in areas outside of the box score.

I'm still on the fence with Abidde. You can see the potential, but he needs to clean up the mental mistakes. Really hoping he turns the corner this second half of the season because I think he could fit in Mills' system.

Pohto could be valuable with the right pieces and system around him. Don't think that will change enough next year.

Beverly and Bell are never going to produce at this level. DeGray seems a step slow.

That's where I'm at. I think we can return 3 or 4 to the rotation next year. Need to grab another AAC ready point guard, two best shooters you can find, and another center. Oh and a few of those guys need to be plus defenders, because I don't think we have one on the team (outside of maybe Quincy).
                          I meant Beverly, not Ballard about getting walking papers from the U.
                          Ballard is a classic case of getting healthy and good coaching. You see the results.

Completely agree with 02 and the Beverly and Bell production level. They just aren't AAC level players. There is a league for them, but the AAC isn't.
                          You will continue to see them get their minutes on the floor for the remainder of this season, cuz there isn't anyone else to take them.

Pohto could be put in the same group with Beverly and Bell. Decent player and has his moments, but overall, just not good enough.

That is all.
                          Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
                            I’ve been super critical of Bijan, and honestly, last night I was impressed. Couldn’t believe I was saying bring him back out. Suppose that’s the difference between having a real PG and not having one. Made everything click.

If I’m picking who gets to stay next year (hoping we shave big time), Ballard is my first pick to stay, followed by Rogers (if he works on defense in off season) and Cortes. Everyone else… they’re expendable imo.

Bell has improved, but lots of deficiencies and appears to be a one trick poney. DeGray just kind of seems.. there. I’d be open to keeping Abidde, lots of upside and flashes of potential. I’m really disappointed in Pohto (WHY is he shooting 3s?), but if he fixes his game he’s a decent alternative to Ballard, if Ballard gets the most minutes. Beverly gets smoked on defense and is a walking turnover (though I love his slashing), Germany is just not even a player for us right now lol.

It’s tough because there are aspects I like about each individual player but honestly, we’re nowhere near the talent level we need to be and players gotta go.
                            Even if Coach Mills totally agrees with you it may not matter who he wants to stay. In today's transfer environment, the players have the upper hand in deciding who stays and who goes. And it looks like that hand is set to only get stronger.

If we end up with no transfer restrictions we could have another mass exodus at the end of this year. As it is, I would not be surprised if KP and IA choose to move on. Eliminate any transfer restrictions and that puts Colby, Beverly, DeGray, Bell, Ballard and Cortes into play.

College basketball has become a game of musical chairs where the key factor in success is who has the money and other "attributes" to attract and buy the best players.

Right now Wichita Stare does not appear positioned to be successful in this environment.

Financially, the program is in a downward spiral over the past 5 years and in an environment where money is King that is not a good place to be.

My outlook for Shocker basketball is not good. Hope, I am wrong.

Comment

• No matter the many words we spill here, recruitment and the nature of this team (and any team anywhere) is all going to come down to money. When you see the amount of money being thrown around via the various NIL, we will see our chances of getting “quality players” dependent on how much money WSU’s NIL is willing to throw around. The coach can only work with the talent in front of him…and that is provided you have a coach that is good enough to work with them. None of us knows what we can do in this new environment….but, it hasn’t looked good to this point…and, I’m greatly concerned about things going forward in the new environment. I know it is football, but when I read that Sanders at Colorado is getting $4,000,000 to play college football and to sell himself to the NIL, I am concerned about how all of this will continue to spread. We have not really been in the competition for the 4-5 star athletes…but will we even be able to compete for 2-3 stars?

Comment

• Why all the negativity on NIL. This is an opportunity. Armchair is just a small cog in our NIL machine. We can absolutely compete for players in a way we never could in the past.

Comment

Working...
                                X